Friday, August 24, 2012

Renew

This is a picnic table that belongs to my father in-law. He bought it many years ago from a closing national park. The wood was old and rotten from many years of use, so I thought I would fix it up for him and my mother in-law. We had several 2 x 10's from our wedding. Molly and I used them as benches. So  being new with nothing to do with them I replaced the old planks. I used the original frame along with  most of the nuts and bolts making the project fairly inexpensive.I spray painted the frame using some paint from an old project. The boards were stained with outdoor furniture stain I had from another project making the table water resistant giving us all many more years of memorable uses.

When I started using my yard machine riding lawn mower it already had a broken bracket on the grill. The old grill is upside down showing the damaged area. I took care of the other side bracket by getting a bit to froggy in a tight space. Trying different ideas I decided to call the local re-cycling company in my area. I went into their office asking if they re-cycled riding lawn mowers. I know duh right, it was just my ice breaker. He said, "Yes we do. Over in that big pile", "Help yourself " When I approached the pile it had all sorts of mowers. Around in the back was "my mower"! Bringing my 7/16" and 1/2" wrenches and sockets with ratchet I disassembled the grill, brought it to the office to the guy at counter, he weighed it and charged me $5.00. Before all this I checked prices on the web finding prices ranging from $98.00 to $66.00. Now I will bring the old plastic grill to the re-cyclers where they can dispose of it in a responsible manner and saved alot of cash!
 


This a chair to set a set of four. They were destined to the trash dumpster where I rescued them. They were sun faded showing some surface rust. So putting my navy Boatswains skills to use sanded and wire brushed the metal frames then chose spray paint that already had the primer added.When the paint dried it has a hammered look. The chosen color is a copper brown. The price I found in the local stores were somewhere around $75.00 each. They cost me the price of spray paint I chose.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment