Monday, August 27, 2012

Up-cycle

The first time I heard the term up-cycle I was interested.  Basically it means to make new use from something else.  Here is one of my up-cycle projects. 

 This is a pencil bag made from candy bags and a recycled zipper.  When I was a child my mother would sometimes have us remove the zipper from other items that wore out.  If the zipper was still good it could be reused in something else, she would tell us.  We saved buttons off of old worn out clothes as well. 





In this pencil pouch, I recycled to candy bags I got from work.   I cut the bags to the size I wanted, sewed them to each side of the zipper then down the sides and bottom.  I used both a straight stitch and zigzag stitch to be sure it would be strong and hold up to use.  This has a double thickness, so you see the outside of the candy bag on both the inside and outside of the pencil bag.  This is one of those pencil bags that would be sure to bring more interest to your child's school day. 

When you think about throwing out and item, try to think if there could be a new use for it.  I feel if we all try to up-cycle something we could reduce the load on our land fills.

No comments:

Post a Comment